Join Our Team — Associate Pastor
Posted: 15 September 2017
Job Title: Associate Pastor
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Direct Reports: Student Ministers, Interns (MTS)
Location: Surry Hills
Special Conditions: Full-time or Part-time
Vine Church + St Michael’s exists to connect people to the life, love and freedom found in Jesus Christ. Over the past five years, we’ve grown from two churches — one a church plant and the other a small Anglican Church — into an exciting and vibrant combined community with over 200 people gathering each week. We love Jesus and are passionate about seeing him change lives.
1. Position Purpose
Vine Church + St Michael’s is seeking to employ an experienced associate pastor to oversee one – three portfolios including: Ministry and/or Membership and/or Mission and/or Focus Pastor.
2. Main Responsibilities
- Leading, developing, and setting direction for the Connecting Team so that newcomers are connected to the life of Vine Church in prompt, personal and practical ways.
- Leading, developing, and setting direction for the Care Team so that those in our family who are sick, struggling, travelling, wandering, recovering or grieving are cared for in prompt, personal and practical ways.
- Oversee processes, systems, courses and events that facilitate the effective operation of the Connect and Care Teams including: Newish, Vine Connect, Weekend Away, Church Birthday, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, Christmas Party.
Leading, developing, and setting direction for the Mission Team as they seek to:
- build connections between people in Vine Church and the city, and
- build people’s confidence in their own abilities to share the news about Jesus, and
- build conviction that the gospel is the only hope for our world.
- Oversee processes, systems, courses and events that facilitate the effective operation of the Mission Team, including: Open Forums, Christianity Explored, Life, Evangelistic Sermon Series, Surry Hills Festival, Mardi-Gras Outreach, Advertising, Bread of Life, Upskilled.
Leading, developing, and setting direction for the Ministry Team as they seek to:
- recruit volunteers and leaders for ministries, and
- deploy new volunteers and leaders so that they clearly understand how to do their ministry and what the expectations are, and
- develop volunteers and leaders so that they are being challenged to serve God with greater skill and ownership, and
- refresh volunteers and leaders so that they are serving with joy.
- Leading, developing, and setting direction for the recruitment and training in ministry of Interns (MTS) and Student Ministers.
- Oversee processes, systems, courses and events that facilitate the effective operation of the Ministry Team, including: ministry recruitment pathway, MTS Training, Ministry Team Leader Huddles, Leaders Rally, Onboard, MTS Mission Minded.
- Envisioning, planning, and establishing a new gathering with a particular focus on a new demographic (e.g. university students, young families, over 50s).
- Overseeing and coordinating the work of implementing the processes of each purpose area into this focus gathering.
- Preaching and leading services
- Participation in three Sunday services each week.
- Other responsibilities as required in working in a team environment.
- Evidences a committed, authentic and tested faith in the risen Lord Jesus as our only saviour and hope.
- Loves the church as the gathered people of God and leads their family to do the same.
- Theologically-minded and able to show evidence of handling and teaching the Bible faithfully.
- Deep love for Jesus, and a strong commitment to seeing people live for the glory of God in all their lives.
- Strong commitment to seeing lives changed by the gospel via prayer and the word of God.
- Proven ability in establishing, training and leading teams and their leaders.
- Clear, humble and an engaging leadership style, calling people to make sacrifices for the cause of Christ.
- Strong and compelling public speaker with ability to warmly engage large gatherings of people.
- Excellence in professional skills such as clear written and verbal communication, time-management, organisation, and systems thinking.
- Willing to work alongside others in a team and under the Lead Pastor.
Essential (for Mission)
- Competence in explaining the gospel in a clear and Christ-centred way, and in using apologetics to remove objections to the gospel.
- Passionate about evangelism and is experienced in seeing people converted and growing under their ministry.
Essential (for Membership)
- Approachable and warm personality, and determined to see people connected and cared for in the family of God.
- Experienced event manager able to run large well-planned events with teams of volunteers.
Essential (for Ministry)
- More than five years’ experience in volunteer recruitment and leader development.
Essential (for Focus Pastor)
- Experience in establishing new congregations or church plants.
- More than five years’ experience in full-time ministry.
- Demonstrates the ability to have excelled in a professional vocation, and is a good cultural fit with the inner city and the people of Vine Church + St Michael’s.
- Completed or currently undertaking higher education in theology and ministry.
- Experience in a Purpose Driven (5M) ministry team.
4. Special Conditions
Remuneration is provided as a stipend plus tax-free allowances and will be based on the experience and qualifications of the applicant. This can be discussed with the Lead Pastor at time of application.
The position is offered either as a full-time position combining two - three portfolios, or as a part time position in one portfolio. The selection of which portfolios is dependent on the capability of the pastor and the needs of the church.
This position is open to male and female applicants eager to work in a complementarian team environment. Suitability will be assessed based on the above qualifications.
For expressions of interest, please include your resume along with a statement about your life, values, and ministry. This should elaborate on your vision for whatever portfolios above that interest you, and provide evidence of the fruit born from this vision. This should be sent to our administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Position start date is fully negotiable for the right candidate.
Applications close 30 September 2017.