Join Our Team — Operations Director
Posted: 11 December 2017
Job Title: Operations Director
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Direct Reports: Administrator
Location: Surry Hills
Remuneration guide: $35,000 – $55,000 pa
Special Conditions: Part time
Vine Church exists to connect people to the life, love and freedom found in Jesus Christ. Over the past six years, we’ve grown from a church plant meeting in a house to an exciting and vibrant community with over 200 people gathering each week. We love Jesus and are passionate about seeing him change lives.
1. Position Purpose
Vine Church is seeking to employ an experienced operations director to build systems, processes, policies and teams to facilitate the effective operation of our church as we grow.
2. Main Responsibilities
The Operations Director is responsible for building and overseeing the Operations Team, which is responsible for providing professional operational services to the entire organisation. These services include portfolios in financial, reporting, compliance, human resources, legal, risk, project management, property, diocesan relations.
You will provide a strategic and operational advice to the Lead Pastor and play an integral role in implementing the vision of Vine Church. You will work closely with the Lead Pastor and Wardens, and be responsible for managing the Administrator.
The Operations Director will have oversight and responsibility for developing an Operations Team/s responsible for:
- Property Management – the management of an events venue (i.e. the church) including leasing, maintenance, development, and forecasting needs.
- Events and Project Management – the training and support of event and project managers ensuring all events and projects are run at a consistent standard.
- Communications – the development and oversight of a Communications Team involving copywriting, design, and marketing to improve the engagement of members and the local community.
- Fundraising – establishing and maintaining relationships with foundations, writing grant proposals, and establishing strategy and process for internal appeals.
- Strategy & Analysis – build and maintain effective metrics through a mix of data and surveys for real time analysis of church health so as to assist the pastors and parish council in decision making.
- Office Management – the oversight of running an effective office space which provides needed operational facilities for staff.
- Human Resources Management – the provision of staff contracts, entitlements structures, entry and exit procedures, interview and assessment pathways.
- Risk and Compliance – the development, audit, and review of policy and procedures, the management of risk and incident reporting, as well as compliance with applicable regulatory bodies.
- Accounts and Financial Management – the oversight of budgeting, purchasing, asset management, tendering, invoicing and book-keeping services.
- Diocesan Management – the oversight of our responsibilities to the Anglican Diocese of Sydney.
- Technology – the oversight of technology used to service the church and property.
In addition to overseeing the different operational departments of Vine Church, the Operations Director will be expected to:
- Provide confidential, timely, considered, and objective advice on strategic, operational, vision, and planning matters to the Lead Pastor.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to the wardens as required by them.
- Develop financial, legal, and governance capabilities to support the growth trajectory of the organisation in the medium and long-term.
- Ensure legal, financial, and policy compliance as required of our operations.
- Build, maintain and assist the Operations Team made up of volunteers and staff.
- Cultivate, maintain, and grow a culture of improvement, efficiency, professionalism, and creativity across all operational leaders and teams within the organisation.
- Evidences a committed, authentic and tested faith in the risen Lord Jesus as our only saviour and hope.
- Loves the church as the gathered people of God and leads their family to do the same.
- Deep love for Jesus, and a strong commitment to seeing people live for the glory of God in all their lives.
- Strong commitment to seeing lives changed by the gospel via prayer and the word of God.
- Proven ability in establishing, training and leading teams and their leaders.
- Clear, humble and an engaging leadership style, calling people to make sacrifices for the cause of Christ.
- Excellence in professional skills such as clear written and verbal communication, time-management, organisation, and systems thinking.
- Proven experience in running large projects or event management with a team of staff or volunteers.
- A track record of expertise in continuous improvement of organisational systems and processes towards efficiency, simplicity and efficacy.
- Willing to work alongside others in a team and under the Lead Pastor.
- Willing to commit to the vision and mission and join Vine Church.
- Experience in leading a staff team and running an organisation.
- Strong numerical analysis skills and experience in managing budget.
- More than five years' experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrates the ability to have excelled in a professional vocation, and is a good cultural fit with the inner city and the people of Vine Church.
- Active member of Vine Church.
4. Special Conditions
Remuneration will be based on the experience and qualifications of the applicant and can be discussed with the Lead Pastor at time of application.
The position is offered as a part time position and is open to male and female applicants eager to work in a complementarian team environment. Suitability will be assessed based on the above qualifications.
For the appropriate appointee, a pathway into pastoral ministry toward the role of Executive Pastor may be considered. On this track, the role would encompass pastoral duties alongside operational leadership, and would involve teaching and other ministry contributions.
For expressions of interest, please include your resume along with a statement about your life, values, and prior experience. This should be sent to the Lead Pastor (email@example.com).
Position start date is fully negotiable for the right candidate.
Applications close 15 January 2018.