Posted: 16 August 2017
Last week there was yet another article in the news on loneliness. Loneiliness is a massive problem many people in our city and our church face. The article gives 6 tips to avoid loneliness. Here's my adaption for our community:
1. When you meet up with people at church don't just talk about your job and social life. Share how God's been changing you, what he's been teaching you, where you're struggling to trust him, a sin you're trying to kill, and something and someone to pray for.
2. Keep a list of the birthdays of those in your community group and ministry team. Buy them a cake and embarrass them by singing Happy Birthday in a public place. Go out to Messina after church and shout them a birthday gelato.
3. Invite someone new at church to drinks, a movie, the beach, a trip to the art gallery. Introduce them to some of your other friends.
4. If you have feelings of loneliness at work, fill your lunchtime with an enjoyable activity: do some exercise, call a friend, plan to have lunch with someone at church who works nearby, read your Bible.
5. Take a friend from church along to a work party or take a friend from work along to a church party.
6. Don't wait for someone to call or email – contact them. Just because they may miss your call or be busy doesn't mean they aren't interested in friendship.
Pastor Toby Neal