Are our Community Groups missional?
Posted: 10 September 2012
Are our community groups missional?
Here are some things to help you assess your groups health:
"A missional small group is not necessarily one that is doing some kind of specific evangelism program (although that is to be recommended). Rather, its members
• love and talk positively about the city/neighborhood
• speak in language that is not filled with pious tribal or technical terms and phrases, nor disdainful and embattled language
• in their Bible study apply the gospel to the core concerns and stories of the people of the culture
• are obviously interested in and engaged with the literature and art and thought of the surrounding culture and can discuss it both appreciatively and yet critically
• exhibit deep concern for the poor, generosity with their money, purity and respect toward the opposite sex, and humility toward people of other races and cultures
• do not bash other Christians and churches.
When Christians act in these ways, seekers and nonbelieving people from the city a) will be invited and b) will come and will stay as they explore spiritual issues. If these marks are not there, it will only be able to include believers or traditional, "ʺChristianized"ʺ people."
– Tim Keller, Centre Church